Swing Bed Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Swing Bed?
Swing Bed is 24 hour skilled nursing care plus the benefit of “rehabilitation” therapies to help patients transition to home or a long term care facility. Swing bed can also be utilized to help rehabilitate from surgery, illness or accident. When patients reach the point in their recovery that acute care is no longer necessary, but they are not yet ready to leave the hospital, they can be evaluated for this special program that provides skilled follow-up care. Swing Bed care is a wonderful option that is particularly helpful whenever a patient needs only a few more days or weeks in order to reach their optimal recovery. Even if the original hospitalization occurred elsewhere, patients may still qualify for our program at North Valley Health Center.
What Services Qualify for Swing Bed Care?
Swing Beds are commonly used for individuals:
- Requiring therapy services – Post Orthopedic Surgery.
- Requiring ongoing IV medication for a specified length of time – Infusion Therapy.
- That need to gain strength after an illness during a stay in the hospital.
How Do I Pay for Swing Bed Care?
Participation in Medicare Part A or an alternate insurance with skilled care benefits. All patients must experience a medically necessary acute hospitalization of at least three days immediately prior to Skilled Swing Bed admission, have a daily skilled care need which is directly related to the acute care hospitalization and physician authorization.
What Do I Do When My Skilled Care Need Ends?
1. A patient may choose to recover further at a nursing home.
2. A patient may wish to return home with a family member or seek an alternative living arrangement (i.e., assisted living).
Have more questions? Call us at 218-745-4211